Most common incidents in 2022 involved mirrors, glass tables and compost bins
Last year was particularly hot following three heatwaves, and new data from LV= shows that fire claims caused by the rays of the sun increased by 233% compared to 2021*.
The average cost of these claims was around £34,203, with some homes being completely gutted as a result. Reflected light from the sun can direct rays from magnifying objects onto combustible materials, such as curtains, which can then cause them to catch fire.
Claims settled by LV= last year involving reflective materials included:
- A doubled sided mirror left on the windowsill, which scorched the frame, ignited the curtains and caused £11,000 worth of damage.
- A garden mirror reflected the rays of the sun and scorched patio doors, costing £3,000.
- A compost bin set alight in the garden, causing a fire to spread rapidly at the back of the house. The damage cost £42,000 to fix.
- Three pieces of glass on a display stand in a lounge sparked a fire, causing £14,000 worth of damage.
- A fire started in a garden room with a glass topped table, which reflected the sun’s rays. The damage cost £6,500 to repair.
LV= also saw a rise in heath and wildfires last year, with homes near open spaces at risk of damage. Hot and dry weather can create the perfect conditions for heath fires which can be started naturally by the sun or even by unwatched BBQs. If BBQs aren’t handled correctly, they can quickly become a fire hazard.
Help your homeowners keep an eye out for potential summer fire hazards in both their home and garden
Check out our LinkedIn page for top tips to protect homes from fires on sunnier days – make sure you share them with your customers.