Brexit and Green Card Updates

1 min

Update from the MIB - 22 May 2020

The Withdrawal Agreement has been approved

This is good news as it means that your customers can continue to drive within the EU for the time being, without the need for a Green Card

Here every step of the way 

As we move beyond this key milestone and progress through the transition period, we’ve grabbed our magnifying glass so that we can keep a close eye on how our future trading relationships with the EU may affect you and your customers.  

As trade negotiations develop, we’ll continually update you on how your customer’s policies could be affected at the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. Take a look at some of our most frequently asked questions below.



What happens after the 31 January 2020?

With a Brexit withdrawal agreement now confirmed, your customers can drive in the EU as freely as they did before Brexit (including in the Republic of Ireland). However, this position could change at the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) once detailed trade negotiations are completed. 

If requested, can I issue a Green Card to my customer for travel in the EU?

Currently, your customers don’t need a Green Card to drive in the EU. However, if your customer is planning to drive in Europe and would like a Green Card for peace of mind, you may still issue one via the Broker Portal. Check out the LV= Broker Portal User Guide if you’d like to see how to issue a Green Card using our system. 

Following advice from the MIB it has been confirmed that printing Green Cards will now be easier. Here's a summary of their update:

  • Green Cards can now be printed in black ink on ordinary white paper.
  • Green Cards can now be printed either double, or single sided.
  • Green Cards can be sent out electronically, although policyholders must print and carry a hard copy when travelling abroad.


What happens after 31 December 2020?

That’s an untold chapter in the story of Brexit – we’ll continue to monitor this situation and provide updates as appropriate.

Keeping our eyes peeled - if it looks like Green Cards will be needed to travel in the EU as we approach the end of the transition period, we’ll work with you to ensure that all appropriate measures are in place to keep your customers moving.

What LV= Broker webpages can I send my customer towards if they ask about Brexit?

You can direct your customers to


Fancy a browse? We've got tons of great stuff to check out