Discover how home insurance claims trends changed in 2020
We stayed at home more and drove less miles during the national lockdowns. That all sounds 'safe as houses' but does it all play out that way when it comes to claims? The data suggests a shift in home claim trends, here's a look at those trends and a few opportunities to help customers look after what they love most.
- With more time being spent in the garden in 2020, fire claims from bonfires doubled
- Thefts within the home down 34% vs thefts from gardens up 21%
- Increase in claims for blockages and tech damages as people continue to work from home
With people spending more time in their homes and gardens, we can reveal some interesting developments in home insurance claims trends in 2020.
Since the lockdown began in March 2020, the LV= GI Claims team has been dealing with a range of increased insurance claims relating to the home and garden including:
- 225% increase in fire claims specifically relating to bonfires
- 56% increase in fire claims caused by cigarettes, matches, and lighters
- 40% increase in the proportion of blockages
- 21% increase in the proportion of bicycle thefts from gardens
- 14% increase in claims for breakage/dropped/knocked/fall of items such as computer/ office equipment and damage to glasses
On the flipside, there’s been a decrease in some claims, including:
- 34% decrease in the proportion of house burglaries
- 26% decrease in the proportion of accidental loss claims away from the home
- 13% decrease in the proportion of claims for damage caused by an animal